After Weight Loss Surgery
If you have reached this page after surgery, congratulations on making a life-changing decision! We look forward to working with you on shaping your health and life for the better. Your life will change dramatically in the months and years after bariatric surgery and we will be with you every step of the way. Here are some general thoughts to bear in mind for the short- and medium-term after surgery.
At Any Time:
- If you feel you may be having an emergency, please call your physician or 911 right away.
- Any unusual symptom or pains that you may be experiencing should be reported to your surgeon or doctor immediately.
Shortly After Surgery:
- Your medical team will expect you to walk shortly after surgery. Walking and exercising will be an important part of your recovery and long-term weight loss.
- You will be on a liquid diet for a few weeks after surgery. This is important to allow your body to heal. Do not progress to a soft food diet until your surgeon gives the OK.
- Make sure you practice good wound care. You will receive guidance on how to change your bandages and minimize the risk of infection.
- You should be able to return to work that does not require heavy lifting within 1-4 weeks after surgery, depending on your type of surgery.
- You will have regular check-ups in the first 6 months after surgery to ensure you are healing and losing weight as expected.
- You may be able to become pregnant within 18 months after surgery, although you should speak to Dr. Lublin first prior to trying to conceive.
- Your weight loss may begin to slow after several months of rapid changes. This is normal and you will experience plateaus once in a while. It is important to maintain a healthy diet and exercise regimen at all times.
- Some patients opt for cosmetic surgery to correct excess skin. These procedures should not be performed within 18 months and only with Dr. Lublin’s OK.
- Gastric banding patients will have regular check-ups (every three to six months) and band adjustments to ensure healthy and consistent weight loss.
Learn more about diet after bariatric surgery
Learn more about exercise after bariatric surgery
Learn more about vitamin supplementation after bariatric surgery
Learn more about support groups after bariatric surgery