What is the da Vinci Surgical Robotic System?
The da Vinci Surgical System is a tool that utilizes advanced, robotic, computer and optical technologies to assist Dr. Lublin with individual surgery. It does not act on its own and its movements are controlled by Dr. Lublin.
This Video Represents an Actual Hernia Surgery – Contents Are Graphic
During robotic-assisted surgery, Dr. Lublin is 100% in control of the robotic component. This allows smaller and more precise hand movements of tiny instruments inside the patient’s body by the following features and benefits of the system:
- Wristed instruments that bend and rotate to mimic the movements of the human wrist – allows Dr. Lublin to make small, precise movements inside the patient’s body
- 3D-HD vision system, special instruments and computer software that allow Dr. Lublin to operate with enhanced vision, precision, dexterity, control, with magnification like a microscope.
- Minimally invasive surgery (surgery through small incisions) which allows the patient to have minimal scarring and better recovery healing.
The Robotic System is used for many commonly performed surgical procedures, in the areas of General Surgery (Dr. Lublin’s specialty), Gynecology, Urology, Thoracic, and Cardiac and Head & Neck surgery.
What is Robotic Surgery and how can it help me?
Robotic Surgery is a less invasive technique compared to what is referred to as “open” surgery, surgery through a larger incision. With Robotic Surgery, the cuts (incisions) made in the patient’s body are much smaller than the cut made during open surgery. Robotic Surgery is considered “minimally invasive surgery.” Studies of Robotic Surgery have shown the following benefits in comparison to open surgery:
- A shorter hospital stay
- Less blood loss
- Fewer complications
- Less need for narcotic pain medicine
- A faster recovery
- Smaller incisions associated with minimal scarring
Together, these technological advancements provide surgeons unparalleled precision, dexterity and control for the performance of minimally invasive surgery.
What surgery does Dr. Lublin perform robotically?
- Inguinal (groin) hernia repair
- Umbilical hernia repair
- Incisional hernia repair
- Hiatal hernia repair
- Colon resection or removal
- Gallbladder removal (cholecystectomy)
- Weight loss or bariatric surgery