Benefits of Bariatric Surgery
Bariatric surgery also known as weight loss surgery is the only proven, long-term and durable weight loss solution for those suffering from obesity and morbid obesity. Throughout our website we discuss the benefits of the different weight loss surgery procedures we offer and how they can positively affect a patient’s life. Of course, surgery also comes with risks and considerations. For a more comprehensive list of risks and considerations please call our office.
Bear in mind that the primary purpose of bariatric surgery is to correct a medical necessity i.e. we aim to cure or improve the diseases associated with obesity. The weight loss that a patient will achieve is merely a side effect – a great side effect.
- Weight loss surgery can improve or eliminate many obesity related diseases – also called comorbidities – including type 2 diabetes, high cholesterol, hypertension, sleep apnea and more. The resolution or improvement rates vary based on the procedure and the patient’s life after surgery. However, no matter what procedure the patient chooses, resolution rates are excellent.
- Weight loss results are exceptional after bariatric surgery. Once again depending on the procedure weight loss results will vary, however gastric banding patients may expect to lose up to 50-65% of their excess bodyweight over a period of 3-5 years. It is important to note, however, that patients’ diets and lifestyles after surgery will go a long way in determining exactly how much weight is lost.
- Cost savings associated with fewer doctors visits as well as less prescribed medication for obesity related diseases mean that a typical patient may be able pay off the cost of their procedure within 3 to 4 years. It has been estimated, by a George Washington University Study, that the cost of obesity to individual is between $2,646 for men and $4,879 for women every year. The cost to society is even greater and the cost in lost life is immeasurable.
- Increased mobility and the ability to perform more activities are also very positive side effects of weight loss surgery. Many of our patients will finally be able to tie shoes again, they will be able to walk distance without losing their breath and they will be able to play with their kids and families.
- Increased confidence and social opportunities are often found in patients who are successful after surgery. Obese people tend to become reclusive as result of their obesity and consequently may miss out on many social and career opportunities. Weight loss surgery may address these issues. Generally speaking, the results of the procedure may give a patient greater confidence to go out into the world.
- Obesity has been known to cause fertility issues in women because of hormonal imbalances caused by the excess weight. Many patients who’ve undergone bariatric surgery will finally be able to get pregnant because their hormones have stabilized after the weight loss. It is important to remember that becoming pregnant immediately after surgery is not advisable and most patients should wait at least 18 months after surgery before they become pregnant. Speak to us about your pregnancy options as each case varies.
The benefits of surgery are different for each individual and we ask that you attend one of our free seminars to learn more. We look forward to meeting you and helping you decide if bariatric surgery is indeed right for you.